I qualified as a proofreader in 2016 after achieving a Merit in the Basic Proofreading course provided by the Publishing Training Centre. This is the most widely recognised industry qualification. It gave extensive experience through exercises on a wide variety of materials with marked assignments over a period of months. I guess what I am trying to say is that it was not a one-day introduction. The course was originally designed for trainees wishing to work in the publishing industry but the skills gained can be applied equally well to those in other industries.
I find it amazing how many people need their written materials to be proofread but don’t realise that they do. I want to change this. I’ve always had an innate ability to spot errors in documents I am reading. I find it distracting. The course helped me to hone this into a useful skill. I learnt many things, among those being that text may not necessarily be wrong, just inconsistent. I learnt what not to change, as well as what should be changed.
What is proofreading?
Proofreading is simply checking for errors before your written documents – be they websites, blog posts, restaurant or takeaway menus, books, magazines, brochures, journals or official documents – are published. It allows your audience to concentrate on the message you want to convey, instead of wondering what you really meant. It’s not about changing your meaning or imposing my own style on the documents of my clients. It’s about the clarity of your meaning, and making certain that your style is consistently applied.
What can I do for you?
I am able to:
- proofread your documents however you want it done, on screen, in your website, or on paper;
- if I work on paper or within Adobe Reader, I can use and understand the 2005 British Standards Institution proofreading symbols;
- if you need proofreading of a Microsoft Word document, I can use its Track Changes function to provide you with both the original and altered documents;
- if you use a Content Management System (CMS) such as WordPress for your website, with an editor login I can proofread your content and make the changes directly;
- you have a website but don’t use a CMS? No problem. I am also comfortable working with html files.
Contact us with your requirements for a free, no-obligation quote based on the word count of your document. Let’s work together to improve your written word. Alternatively, if any of the products below interest you, let us know.